6 Tricks to De-puff, Brighten and Enlarge Your Eyes
How to Reduce puffiness and dark circles, and make your eyes look bright and big
Our eyes are often described as the “windows to our soul”. They can convey our deepest emotions, and we can communicate with our eyes without saying a word. It’s no surprise then that eyes are considered by some, as the most important feature of the face. What most people perceive as beautiful are large, clear, and bright eyes. All eyes can be gorgeous no matter the color or shape, as long as you know how to play them up and use some tricks to make them stand out.
Here are some ways to improve your look by reducing swelling under your eyes, diminishing dark circles, making the white of your eyes whiter, and making them look bigger.
1. Sleep well
The key to looking fresh and having beautiful eyes is getting proper sleep. If you are not getting enough sleep, your eyes may look dull, puffy and red. Lack of sleep can also give you raccoon eyes – dark circles all around the eye area. How much sleep you should get varies from person to person. Find out more about importance of sleep in this article: Why is Sleep Important?
Another good tip to prevent puffiness is to sleep with your head a bit more elevated than normal. Try propping an extra pillow under your head. This can prevent the liquid to store up overnight, as it’ll drain downwards. Sleeping on your back rather than your side or stomach can also help reduce puffiness in the morning.
2. Eat and drink well
What you ate the night before may also affect the puffiness. Food that is high in sodium and fat can make you retain water and make you bloated and puffy the next day. Choose to eat lean protein (fish, lean meat, tofu) and avoid simple carbs (white rice, white bread, pasta, cakes and sweets), sugar and salt. Brush up on your nutrition vocabulary in Nutrition 101.
Drinking water can help reduce swelling, however, it may be counterproductive if you down a huge mug right before bed. But drinking plenty of water on a regular basis will keep your body hydrated yet not retain water. Your body will flush excess water continually if it is well hydrated. Read about all the benefits water can give you in You Are What You Drink.
Sipping green tea after meals can have a diuretic effect – promote the flow of urine and flush out excess water out of your body.
3. Instant De-puff action
Almost everyone wakes up in the morning with puffy eyes, but the puffiness usually goes away pretty fast. For some, however, the puffiness can stick around most of the day making you look tired and not rested. Say you have an early morning meeting and you got up looking like a pufferfish, don’t freak out and use one of the following remedies:
- cold cucumber slices – take a cold cucumber and cut it up into thin slices (6 to 8 is fine). Apply directly onto each of your closed eyelids. Keep for 3 minutes and replace with fresh ones. The cold compress will force the puffiness away and soothe the skin. The high water content of cucumbers also contain ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and caffeic acid, both of which help soothe skin irritations, and reduce water retention and swelling. It will moisturize the skin, giving you a fresh feeling and awake-looking eyes. Go ahead and munch on the rest of that cucumber – it’s good for you!
- chilled green/black tea bags – Soak two tea bags in hot water (I like green tea best) and put the cup in the refrigerator overnight (or until it gets cold). In the morning, take the tea bags out of the cup and squeeze out extra liquid so that they are moist enough but not dripping. Place one tea bag on each of your closed eyelids and keep for 5 minutes. This gives you the same effect as the cucumber slices, with a cold compress, but the caffeine content of green tea also has excellent stimulation and anti-inflammatory properties to increase circulation thereby tightening the skin and awakening your eyes. AND you can drink your tea too!
- cold raw potato slices – as with cucumber slices and tea bags, a cold potato can do the same in reducing puffiness. Take a raw potato from the fridge, peel it, and cut into several thin slices. Place on closed eyes for about 5 minutes and voila! You are good to go.
- frozen spoon – This is a really simple and great trick if you are running low on time and don’t have any of the above mentioned items. Place a spoon in the freezer overnight so it’s handy when you wake up in the morning. Take the spoon and apply to under the eye, one at a time. Keep it for 30 seconds under one eye, switch to the other for 30 more seconds, and repeat 3 – 4 times. So easy, so simple!
- raw egg whites – Take one egg and separate the egg white from the yolk. Scoop up some of the egg white with your fingers and apply directly to the skin under your eyes. Let it dry for about 5 minutes then rinse off with cold water and pat skin dry. As the egg dries, you will feel a tightening sensation on your skin, and you’ll get an instant perk-up for your eyes. The vitamin B content of egg whites also promotes circulation to help reduce puffiness. Good for nutrition AND for beauty!
4. Use Eye Creams
After washing your face and doing one of the methods described above, use a good under eye cream or gel to moisturize. Some creams even have de-puffing qualities mixed in. For daytime, I like “Sisters Ford Depuffing Action eye gel” by Benefit. It’s great to apply before makeup. At night, I use “All about eyes” eye cream by Clinique. Its long list of active ingredients include grape extract, mulberry root extract, green tea extract and caffeine, which all help reduce puffiness and dark circles. When applying eye cream, be gentle – don’t rub. Use one finger to gently tap from the inside to the outside back and forth.
5. Makeup tricks
Now, this is the fun part! You can really work wonders with makeup to make your eyes appear bigger, stand out more, and even change the shape. This may take some time to master but here are some basic tricks you can use.
- Get the red out. Firstly, if you have any redness in your eyes from lack of sleep or allergies, put a few drops of anti-redness drops such as Visine Original “Redness Relief”. Use it only if you need it. The white of your eyes will be whiter, which looks healthy and bright.
- Darkness be gone! Next, you are going to take care of any dark circles if you have them. Most of the time, chronic dark circles are a hereditary condition, or they may appear from time to time due to stress, lack of sleep, poor diet, or some medical condition. To cover them up you are going to need a basic staple in anyone’s makeup drawer – the all-powerful Concealer. Learn how to apply concealer in Cover It Up – 3 Tricks to use with Concealer.
- Big is beautiful. Create an illusion to make your eyes look bigger. The key here is to use light shadow on the lid and brow bone, and medium shadow in the crease of the eye. Then lining the upper lash line with black or brown eye liner, putting some shimmer shadow in the inner corners of the eyes, and using a white pencil in the inner bottom rim.
- Luscious Lashes. Give your eyes a wide open look and make them look bigger by curling your lashes up using an eyelash curler. Coat top and bottom lashes twice with mascara and your eyes are set to dazzle. Get more makeup tricks to make your eyes stand out: Long Full Eyelashes and Beautiful Eyebrows
6. Lead a healthy lifestyle
As with any aspect of your health and beauty, living a healthy life and taking care of yourself can work wonders on your appearance. As mentioned in the first two steps, eating healthy, drinking plenty of water, and getting adequate sleep can help keep your eyes dazzling. In addition to that, don’t smoke or drink alcohol, exercise often, and get plenty or fresh air. Think positively, be kind, and enjoy life to make your eyes radiate love, compassion and joy.
Take care of your eyes and keep them beautiful, so that when someone looks deep into them they will see the real you shining through!
Never miss a single update or post – sign up to HHB Life Newsletter and stay healthy, happy and beautiful.
Foundation is meant to even out the skin tone and create a smoother skin texture by filling in pores and covering any redness or skin discoloration. Foundation comes in 4 different forms:
This is a classic look that never goes out of style! It’s sultry, sexy and bold! Wear it when you feel daring and sexy, but stick to it for nighttime events and dinner parties,
How to achieve smooth glowing skin, even tone, and minimize appearance of pores and spots. Smooth glowing skin is one of the best beauty assets anyone can…
Smokey-eyes is probably one of the most popular makeup techniques of all time, yet most women don’t know how to do it themselves. It is actually quite easy to do by yourself.