Vegetarian Russian Beetroot Soup (Borsch)
Normally, this Russian/Ukrainian traditional soup is made with beef or pork, but I believe it is absolutely not necessary to add meat, as it tastes amazing as a vegetarian dish, and is much healthier. As an option you can add some red beans for more protein.
(Makes 4-5 servings)
2 medium beetroots (peeled and shredded)
2 medium potatoes (peeled and cut into thin slices)
1 carrot (peeled and shredded)
1 onion (finely chopped)
1 tomato (cut into small cubes)
½ of a cabbage (shredded)
3 tablespoons of tomato paste
3 tablespoons of oil
Salt/pepper to taste
Light sour cream
Dill (finely chopped)
- Fill a medium size pot with water about 2/3rds, and add in salt to taste (about 1 ½ teaspoons), then drop the cut potatoes in and bring to a boil. Keep on high heat and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take the shredded beetroot, carrot, onion and tomato and sauté everything in a skillet with 3 tablespoons of oil until all the vegetables are soft (about 10-15 minutes). Add just a dash of salt and pepper and 3 tablespoons of tomato paste. Mix well.
- When potatoes are soft, add in the sautéed vegetables to the pot and stir.
- When soup starts boiling again, add in the shredded cabbage and stir again. Cook it until it boils.
- Take off the heat and let it sit covered for 20 minutes. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with a tablespoon of light sour cream and some chopped dill.
Never miss a single update or post – sign up to HHB Life Newsletter and stay healthy, happy and beautiful.
You have to get all the necessary vitamins that your body needs to function properly and make you feel and look your best. Vitamins have a big effect on your appearance…
It’s been almost a decade since I won the coveted and prestigious title of Miss Universe. And over the years since then I’ve had my share of struggle to find myself in this -sometimes overwhelming – industry
A Food Diary is a daily report of what you ate, what time you ate it, how much you ate, and why you ate it. It helps you identify where you are making the wrong food choices,
The best way to fight off viruses and keep your immune system strong is by getting the right nutrition. Certain foods are known for their high vitamin content that boost your immune…