Quinoa Salad with Pomegranate Walnuts Spinach and Roasted Zucchini
Makes 6 servings
1 cup quinoa
1 large shredded carrot (raw)
1/4 cup finely chopped dill
1/2 cup toasted and chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chopped scallions, green part only (optional)
1 cup pomegranate seeds
Baby spinach (as much or as little as you want)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup lemon, 1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1. Cook quinoa according to package directions. Drain and cool.
2. Cut zucchini into round slices then cut again in half. Coat lightly with olive oil, salt, and a bit of chili powder, then roast in the oven for 15 minutes at 180 C. When ready, let it cool completely.
3. In large bowl, combine quinoa, zucchini, carrots, dill, walnuts, and scallions if using.
4. In a separate bowl mix olive oil, lemon juice, orange juice, ½ tsp salt and pepper. Toss with quinoa mixture and then add pomegranate seeds.
5. Serve over 2 handfuls of baby spinach.
Note 1: Quinoa has a natural bitter coating on it that needs to be removed before cooking. For best taste, toast the quinoa on a skillet over medium heat until it gets fragrant and starts to crackle, then transfer to a fine sieve and rinse thoroughly under running water. Now you are ready to cook it.
Note 2: Roast the walnuts in a skillet over medium-high heat to give them a crunchy, toasty flavor.
Never miss a single update or post – sign up to HHB Life Newsletter and stay healthy, happy and beautiful.
Working long hours, leading a hectic lifestyle, and traveling can certainly be obstacles to eating healthy. But these don’t have to be excuses for not eating well, and you can certainly…
If you’re not sure which food falls into which category: Carbohydrates, Proteins, or Fats, use this table and learn about proper nutrition.
Do you ever get the feeling you’re on a rollercoaster ride? You diet, you break the diet, you go back to the cakes and pies, you diet again, you break the diet … and so it goes.
Start Slow. Try setting your goal for one litre a day at first. Fill up a one-litre bottle in the morning and make it your goal to finish it by the end of the day.