Keeping Your Pets Safe From Toxic Blue-Green Algae


Blue-Green Algae can kill dogs, cats, sheep, pigs, goats, cattle as well as any farm animal that has access to it. This apparently innocuous pond plant infects and kills within minutes to hours of ingestion, frequently not allowing pet parents the time to contact a veterinarian for help.

What Causes Blue-Green Algae?

Algae can grow only if the conditions are right. Sufficient nutrients, such as phosphorus and nitrogen, are required, and temperatures need to be relatively high. The more nutrients there would be in the water, the more probable it is blue green algae will develop.

Symptoms Of Blue-Green Algae Poisoning In Pets

To know if your pet has eaten a harmful substance, look for either of the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting 
  • Diarrhea
  • Frustration or disorientation;
  • Appetite loss
  • Drooling
  • Seizures

If you’ve been out for a walk with your pet, you’ve been by the nearby pond, and your pet has been drinking it, maybe even swam in it, their signs are presumably related to blue-green algae. These signs can also be the reason of other underlying diseases. If you’ve not been around blue-green algae and the pet is not well, they might have consumed another toxic material. Please call your vet right away if your dog shows signs of poisoning.

How To Spot Blue-Green Algae?

High volumes of bacteria can form ‘blooms’ and can be seen in water. These algae blooms may also look like:

  • Clusters of greenish-brown flakes
  • Green bundles
  • Brown dots
  • a blue-green cloud on the top of the water
  • foam-like blooms along the edge of the water

There will be warning signs to let you know that the pond or lake is polluted and in extremely toxic situations, you might see a dead fish on the surface.

How Can I Prevent My Pet From Blue-Green Algae?

  • Keep your pet far from lakes and ponds you know or believe can contain blue-green algae.
  • Pets should not swim or play in water containing blue-green algae.
  • Also don’t let pets drink water that might contain blue-green algae. Since the wind frequently sweeps algae blooms to the borders of ponds or streams, higher amounts of toxin are more likely to be found in the areas of the water that your pet may drink.

Take any notice of the warning signs of the algae during pet walks and visit your veterinarian immediately if signs are detected.