While online rummy is interesting to play, it comes with its sets of challenges. You may not have much at stake in a practice games. However, in a cash game and tournament, you have to step up and show your gaming skills. If you know the gaming tactics well, you can easily get through toughest of situations. Thus, in this post we will discuss some of the important tips to win at rummy, and which skills an expert card gamer should have for the same.
Tips to Win at Rummy Game and Tournament
Below-given are some of the tips for a win:
Know the Gaming Rules
It is important to know the rummy rules to play the game correctly. Otherwise, you may end up making mistakes that may take too much time to rectify. For instance, you should not discard a Joker Card by mistake. So, keep in mind which was the Joker Card pulled from the closed pile before the start of the game. Also, you must understand how to form valid combination of cards for a win
- If you make a wrong declare, then you will lose points.
- You must never miss a turn. If you miss a turn, then you also lose the chance to play your move.
- If you miss more than 3 consecutive turns, then you are a risk at being abandoned from the game.
Sequences and Sets
The next crucial thing is to know how to form sequences and sets. While a pure sequence is mandatory for a win, the other combinations may not. Yet, you need to have all the cards grouped into valid combinations, be it a natural run, impure sequence, or a set. In a natural run, you have to arrange 3 or 4 playing cards in consecutive order. However, these cards should be of the same suit.
- Impure Sequence: In an impure sequence, you can substitute a card of consecutive order and same suit, with a Joker Card or Wild Card. For instance in a rummy online game, you have 3 and 4 of Diamond, but not 5 of Diamond. However, you have a Joker Card. This can work as 5 of Diamond and complete an impure sequence.
- Natural Run: A pure sequence in a rummy game cannot be complete with a Wild Card or a Joker Card. Even if you use a pulled out Joker in a natural run, it needs to fit in the sequence naturally. For instance, the pulled out Joker is 4 of Spade. If you use it in a natural run, then it will act as a normal card and not Joker. You can make a sequence with this card, such as – 4, 5, and 6 of Spade.
- Set: In Indian rummy, you can group cards of the same face value. These cards should not be of the same suit in contrast to impure and pure sequence. So if you have three 5s and you want to form these into a set, then these three 5s should belong to different suits. This could be – 5 of Diamond, 5 of Spade, and 5 of Club.
Pick and Discard
Next step in playing card games is to know which card to pick and discard. You can discard unrelated cards, the ones which you cannot use in a sequence or set. You may hold an unrelated card with you, if you think it may later help in forming a valid hand. Sometimes, you can hold the card for sometime if you think your opponent needs it. Group the cards from time to time as per the melds. This will help you in deciding which card is free to be discarded and avoid confusion.
- If you know how to play rummy, then it is evident that picking a card from the open pile is a big no. But, you may pick from the discard section if the card helps you to make a pure sequence.
- Sometimes you may take a risk of picking a card to form an impure sequence or a set. The choice is completely yours.
- However, usually people depend on picking cards from the closed pile to form a valid hand.
To get the card you need, sometimes you have to trick your opponent. By playing free card games, you will get better at this strategy and learn to confuse rivals. For instance, you can discard a card and make the rival think it is okay to discard a related card. But if you have played a trick here, then you surely will have the need of this discarded card by the opponent.
- For example, you have 4 and 5 of Diamond, but discard 2 of Diamond.
- The rival may think you do not need 3 of Diamond and discards it.
- Then you can pick the 3 of Diamond and make a pure sequence – 3, 4, and 5 of Diamond.
Observe the Rival
To get experience about the game, you can start with practice one. Here, you do not risk any stakes. You can play free rummy without adding up points or losing any cash. Playing practice games will help you know how opponents play, and the tactics they can use for a win. You may not always meet experts in practice games, but still it could be a great experience. If you are a beginner at rummy, then practice games are the best in the best.
- Keep a check on the cards the rivals discard. If a rival has discarded a card you need, but it is not your turn to play next, you have to discard the related cards and reshape your game.
- Also, noticing the picked and discarded cards will give you an idea as to what to expect from the game.
- It can give a brief idea as to kind of melds the rival is intending to make.
To win real cash rummy or a tournament, you need to be an expert at the game. The above-mentioned tips will definitely make you a pro at the card game.