What Is Keto Diet?
Now a days, fitness enthusiasts are moving toward ketosis diet due to its bouquet of health benefits such as lowering blood sugar and insulin levels, and many more.
Keto diet allows the body to produce ketones (small fuel molecules) which is fuel source when glucose (blood sugar) is shorty supplied in the body. Ketones are produced when you are either on fast or taking very few calories or low carbs.
When insulin level in mind and body goes down, burning fat increases dramatically, which is great for your weight management regime.
Ketogenic diet is also called Keto diet, a diet plan in which you include healthy fats and reduce carbohydrates from your meal so that your metabolism can get the ketosis state. Your ketosis diet helps the body to burn fats instead of carbohydrates into energy.
Our diet mainly consists of carbohydrates and processed foods. So, jumping directly to keto diet is quite tough for our body.
If you want to start your keto diet, here are some keto diet for beginners to include.
- Some Meatless option:
You can replace meat from some meatless proteins like tofu, seitan, and tempeh. If you have a busy life schedule and unable to maintain keto in your meal, you can take it from whey protein supplements which contain apt ratio of quality high protein and low carbs that also helps to lose weight in a healthy manner.
- For Non-Vegetarians:
Eggs, Red Meat (like steak), white meat (like turkey & chicken), Fish (like tuna, salmon) are a good source of keto.
- For Vegetarians:
- Plant based Oils: Coconut oil, avocado oil, and extra virgin olive oil are rich sources of keto and also the best for vegetarians.
- Seeds and Nuts: pistachios, sunflower seeds, walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts, macadamia nuts, and pumpkin seeds
- Veggies: onions, spinach, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, Most green veggies, tomatoes, peppers, and other low carb veggies.
- Dairy Products: Unprocessed cheese (mozzarella, blue, and cheddar), butter, and cream.
- Condiments: Salt, spices, pepper, and various other herbs.
Benefits of Keto diets:
- Burns fat and helps in weight Loss: A flip from carbs to fats can cause weight loss.
- Feels you satiate: It suppresses hunger hormone (ghrelin) and increases cholecystokinin (CCK). The CCK makes your feel satiated. So, eat more healthy fats on keto and feel fuller for longer.
- Reduces Appetite: You can live without eating for longer time thus body uses stored fats for energy.
- Reduces inflammation: Keto diet prevents free radical production and inflammatory pathways which is deemed to be harmful.
- Boosts up energy: If you are taking keto diet, you will not experience the energy drop which you face while eating lots of carbohydrates.
- Fuel up the brain: Keto diet produces ketones which provide good portion of energy that the brain needs which is the better way to get energy from glucose. Keto diet helps the brain to produce more mitochondria which generates power to cells. It is also found in one animal study that it helps in brain injury and reduces concussions.
- Mitigates the heart risks: The ketogenic diet helps to improve HDL cholesterol that improves blood sugar level, blood pressure, and body fat by lowering bad cholesterol.
- High source of protein: You can get high protein from keto diet that is building blocks for your body.
- Improves Acne: Eating less sugar, processed foods, and having keto diet may help you to improve acne.
While taking ketogenic diet, you should keep some other things in mind like exercise regularly, avoid the foods that consist of high starches, sugar, unhealthy fats, beans, and all fruits which have high fructose.