The term “handyman services” includes a lot of different activities, from carpentry and molding installation to drywall repairs, from ceramic tile repair to fence fixing, and from dryer vent cleaning to shelf installation and shed repairs. However, in this article, we will talk about ceiling repair, one of the most important and urgent actions you could do for your home. If you don’t know how to do it, it’s no problem: you can always hire a professional company to do the job for you in no time, with excellent results that will last for a long time!
Further, we will see how HBSOnTime.com, a family-owned business that offers handyman services in the Greater Fredericksburg Area, VA, handles ceiling repair. This activity usually involves as many as 13 distinct steps, which we will guide you through:
I. Cleaning and taping the ceiling crack
- First of all, in order for the floor not to get dirty, it has to be covered in a thick plastic sheet, which will be removed at the end. In this step, the team will also remove any cloth or fabric-covered furniture, that is harder to clean;
- The team will then set up a ladder and one of them will climb it, to get easy access to the crack in the ceiling;
- These handyman services continue with scraping away any loose material with a drywall knife, before proceeding to the next step;
- Last but not least, mesh drywall tape has to be applied directly over the crack;
II. Patching the crack
- Patching the cracking begins with preparing the 5-minute mud with water;
- Then, the HBSOnTime.com professionals will add a layer of the substance to the ceiling crack. After this, handyman services will be halted for 30 minutes, until the ceiling fully dries;
- The next step is adding texture to the mud if the ceiling has a swirl, knock-down or popcorn texture;
- After this, the handyman services team will sand the first layer of mud. This will make the final result smoother and more professional;
- This step involves mixing a second batch of 5-minute mud, with a thinner consistency than the first one (more water for the same amount of sand);
- The last step of patching the crack involves applying the second coat of mud, fully covering the mesh tape;
III. Finishing the repair
- The handyman services team will then sand the layers of mud with a sanding sponge, in order to smooth out the rough patches;
- Then, they will choose the paint color that best matches the ceiling, possibly from the time when it was originally painted;
- Last but not least, the handyman services experts will paint the portion of the ceiling that was sanded.
HBSOnTime.com was founded in 2013 and is locally recommended in the Greater Fredericksburg Area, VA, including Caroline, Culpeper, King George, Louisa, Orange, Spotsylvania, and Stafford county. If you want to hire them, all you have to do is check their website, call (540) 376-4624, or submit an online form and receive a free quote.