Arogya Sanjeevani is a standard health insurance policy launched by the Insurance Development Regulatory Authority of India (IRDAI) to cover individuals and families. The plan provides coverage of up to Rs.5 lakhs for hospitalization expenses. It offers individual health insurance plans, as well as family floater plans to take care of the requirement of an entire family. Some of the features of Arogya Sanjeevani that make it so attractive are:
- The sum insured can vary from one lakh to five lakh rupees, depending on the need of the insurer.
- The term of the policy would be for a year and can be renewedlifelong.
- The policy can be taken by anyone in the age group of 18 to 65. It can be used to cover dependent children aged from 3 months to 25 years of age.
- The policy covers pre and post hospitalization expenses.
- ICU charges are covered up to 5% of insured amount subject to Rs.10,000 per day limit.
- Co-payment of 5% has been fixed, which means the policyholder should pay 5% of the bill.
- Room rent is covered up to 2% of insured amount, subject to a limit of Rs.5,000 per day.
- It also covers dental treatment and plastic surgery charges related to a disease or injury.
- Cataract surgery is covered by the policy.
- It includes inpatient treatment for AYUSH (Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha, Homeopathy).
- Maternity expenses, diagnostic tests, treatment for drug or alcohol abuse, and cosmetic surgery are some of the exclusions.
- There are no add-ons allowed to the policy to ensure standardization.
- No claim bonuses are offered up to a maximum of 50%.
29 insurers are offering this standard health insurance policy. People looking for health insurance now have a standard policy that they can take from any of the insurance companies. Existing health insurance policies will also continue as before.
Arogya Sanjeevani and COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic has spread fast and wide. Even after withdrawal of the lockdown measures, there has been no respite from the spread of the dangerous Coronavirus. Lakhs of people in India have been infected and there have been many deaths due to the novel Coronavirus. While people take all measures to prevent being infected, the fast spread of the disease has exposed people to the risk of being infected.
Most cases may require hospitalization and the treatment would be expensive, when done at private hospitals. This has led to worries about meeting these expenses. For the convenience of all Arogya Sanjeevani health insurance policyholders, COVID-19 treatment has been included under the policy. This offers peace of mind to people who are worried about potential expenses for treating COVID-19. They can now get reimbursement for up to Rs. 5 lakh for hospitalization expenses.
Arogya Sanjeevani ensures that patients need not spend time comparing various plans. They can go with a standard plan. With COVIDs-19 coverage included, it makes life easier for those who are looking for health insurance.