There are several RDBMS in the tech world but the most popular of them all are Oracle and MySQL. Both database tools are fully equipped with programming APIs and administration tools. Although both tools have their own advantages, MySQL is a better choice than Oracle for particular projects. Without batting an eyelid, many organizations will adopt MySQL database. Why?
- Compared to Oracle, it has less restrictive license
- It is open source whereas Oracle has a high cost of ownership.
- MySQL is better integrated into web than Oracle
This is why several businesses are migrating to the better package, MySQL.Admittedly, the complex manual process of migration between Oracle and MySQL is enough to deter the migration process. Also, human factor can result in loss or corruption of data. But, the conversion process is best simplified by adopting a special software from start to finish of the process. This is called automation.
To that effect, a software company called Intelligent Converters have created a tool – Oracle to MySQL converter. For almost 20 years they offered database solutions for the following purposes:
- Database conversion
- Database migration
- Database synchronization
There are many reasons why this converter ranks high on the market. A few are:
- Cutting edge yet very easy to use database migration from Oracle to MySQL.
- Direct reading and writing which results in extremely high performance. However, no middle ware components or libraries are required in the reading and writing process.
- Different versions of Oracle and MySQL are supported. This includes cloud solutions.
- Automation of scheduling of database conversion due to provision of a command line version.
- Synchronization or merging of data with existing MySQL database.
- Using SELECT-style queries for filtration of data being migrated. This allows the transformation of data before conversion to desired database. Also, selected columns and records can be operated upon.
Necessity may cause the column type in the resulting database to be changed. There is need to get a feature which will allow change of names, NULL-, type and default attributes for selected table columns. This feature is called “custom column mapping.” It also provides ability to limit the conversion to certain columns.
Data can be exported into SQL script if target MySQL server disallows remote connection. There’s ba universal method by which this can be effectively carried out.
- Export database into a local file. This file must contain SQL-statements.
- Create table and the corresponding indexes
- Fill tables and indexes with sufficient data.
Import script file to MySQL server via two methods which will be discussed in the next paragraph.
Dumps can be imported strictly into an existing MySQL database. It is important to recognize if ‘CREATE DATABASE’ statementspresent in these dump files, since it affects process of loading files into the database.
In the left frame, select appropriate database name
When a tab pops on the screen, click ‘SQL’ tab
To the dump file in the ‘Location of the textfile’ field, enter full path and/or click ‘Browse’ button. The directory tree is where these can be located.
Select ‘Go’ button.
- MySQL console client (mysql)
mysql -h host -u user –p –vvfdatabase_name<script_file